It has been an eventful year so far for the University of Alberta Nordic Ski Team, and we are only one month into 2016! This month we have participated in multiple races and loppets including Troll in the Park Loppet, the Camrose University Team Sprint, Pembina Nordic 40th Anniversary Loppet, Athabasca Loppet, and most recently Alberts Cups 5/6 in Red Deer! We have experienced everything this past month in our races across the province from freezing to sweat pouring temperatures, icy to fluffy snow, big hills to flat plains, and ice beards to rosy cheeks. Along with the results I will update you on below, some of the results will be available at the following links. Go Golden Bears and Pandas, and God speed!
Alberta Cup 5:
Alberta Cup 6:
Troll in the Park Loppet:
1.Freya Hik; 1st
1.Connor Speer; 7th
2. Abram Meagher; 6th
Pembina Nordic Loppet:
- Freya Hik; 2nd & 2nd
- Connor Speer; 6th
- Abram Meagher; 2nd
- Adrienne Dunbar
- Connor Speer; 20km; 6th
- Kyle Melnyck; 20km; 9th
- Abram Meagher; 10km; 2nd
Alberta Cup 5: Interval Skate 10km
- Kat Stone; Senior Women; 1st
- Freya Hik; Senior Women; 2nd
- Conor Speer; Senior Men; 9th
- Abram Meagher; Junior Men; 1st
Alberta Cup 6: Mass Start Classic 10km
- Freya Hik; Senior Women; 1st
- Connor Speer; Senior Men; 5th
- Abram Meagher; Junior Men; 3rd
Temperatures were sublime and trails perfect at the Canmore Nordic Centre for the first official races of the season by the Golden Bears. There was everything from uphill double poling to a 92-man mass start. The three racers we had venture down for these exciting races experienced it all and skied away with some solid early season results. Along with these races we had our own Adrienne Dunbar compete in a 50km ultra here in Edmonton, surviving the cold to finish with her group. For full results from the ski races check out the link below.
http://zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7757 & http://zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7755
Day 1: Classic Individual Start
- Kat Stone; 5km; 20th in Senior Women
- Connor Speer; 10km; 32nd in Senior Men
- Abram Meagher; 10km; 19th in Junior Men
Day 2: Skate Mass Start
- Kat Stone; 10km; 12th in Senior Women
- Connor Speer; 16.5km; 46th in Senior Men
- Abram Meagher; 16.5km; 13th in Junior Men
The first race of the season was great for the Golden Bears and Pandas, with all that competed pulling out solid results and times. The conditions were sublime for early winter racing and the skis were fast enough to provide some competition throughout the field of athletes. In all it was a great preparation weekend for those competing in the upcoming AB Cup/NorAm races this weekend in Canmore. Full results can be found through the link below. Go Bears and Pandas!
1.Kate Stone; 1st
1.Abram Meagher; 4th
2. Connor Speer; 6th
After a long wait for snow, a couple of our Bears and Pandas spent the last weekend in Hinton training with the Augustana Vikings. It was a winter wonderland with lots of snow, great training and awesome camaraderie with our fellow skiers. With temperatures sitting just around zero, the skis ran fairly well across the snow, giving practically ideal conditions for a time trial to the close the camp. The trails there in Hinton are amazing and if any other Bears or Pandas decide to hibernate somewhere that should be the place. Happy skiing, and Go Bears and Pandas!
It was a great night for racing on the Wednesday evening of September 9 with the temperature being ideal for some fast cross country running. The Golden Bear and Panda skiers were there in a strong force spanning across the field, and taking home some great times in the process. For a full set of results check out the link below :-). Unfortunately not every Bear/Panda was registered for this race so some of the names will not be on the list. Enjoy!
Photo credit: http://www.suttonplace.com
This past weekend some of the UofA Nordic Academy skiers traded in their skis and poles for a pair of sneakers to go the distance. On Saturday, August 29 athletes Adrienne Dunbar and Joel Gervais competed in the Trailstoke Ultramarathon in Revelstoke, BC, coming up with solid results in the solo 55km division. To view the full list of results simply follow the link below. Go Golden Bears and Pandas :-D.
The results are in for the Alberta Cup points series and UofA Nordic had a great showing in the results. Congrats and see you all next year.
- Colleen Mortimer: 1st for Masters Women 1&2
- Jenny Patterson: 5th for Senior Women
- Adrienne Dunbar: 6th for Senior Women
- Kat Stone: 10th for Senior Women
- Freya Hik: 2nd for Junior Women
- Kes Carson: 3rd for Junior Women
- Connor Speer: 3rd for Senior Men
- Ryan Alexandruk: 9th for Senior Men
- Ragnar Robinson: 10th for Senior Men
- Abram Meagher: 1st for Junior Men
A team sprint, and two interval middle distance starts. These were the events that the UofA Nordic Academy competed in against the nation and its Universities this past weekend at the annual Haywood Nationals in Thunder Bay. The Lappe trail system proved to be a challenging one with heart stopping downhills, quick footing corners, and climbs so painful that one of them is rightly named “The Grunt”. These factors did not daunt the UofA team though, who took on all the challenges the course threw at them and succeeded in great racing and results. For a full set of results, click on the links attached to each of the days below.
Saturday, March 14, 2015
CCUNC Free Technique Team Sprints
- Abram Meagher/Lukas Mark; 6th
- Connor Speer/Ryan Alexandruk; 12th
Sunday, March 15, 2015
Free Technique Interval Start
- Freya Hik: Overall JrWomen, 25th; CCUNC, 27th
- Connor Speer: Overall SrMen, 55th; CCUNC, 31st
- Abram Meagher: Overall JrMen, 11th; CCUNC, 10th
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Classic Technique Interval Start
- Freya Hik: Overall JrWomen, 24th; CCUNC, 28th
- Connor Speer: Overall SrMen, 58th; CCUNC, 32nd
- Ryan Alexandruk: Overall SrMen, 59th; CCUNC, 33rd
- Abram Meagher: Overall JrMen, 16th; CCUNC, 19th
The weather was prime for the last University Cup race of the year out at the Strathcona Wilderness Center, and once again the UofA Nordic Academy showed its great skiing ability. With it being the last race before Canadian Nationals, the team looked in fine form leading into the Championships this coming weekend. For complete results, got http://zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7441.
- Kathryn Stone: 2nd
- Freya Hik: 4th
- Jessie Patterson: 5th
- Kes Carson: 11th
- Ariel Raudsepp: 12th
- Abram Meagher: 2nd
- Ryan Alexandruk: 12th
The trails were in the prime condition, the stars were twinkling, the jam was bopping, and the skis were ready to go. It was a great of skiing at the second and final University Cup team sprint hosted by the UofA Nordic Academy and although the name of the event paralleled that of a famous football film, unlike that film everyone was a winner in some way even if the race did not go their way. For a complete set of results, go to zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7420.
- Michael Kennedy & Kate Buddo; 2nd
- Colleen Mortimer & Tim Wintinow; 1st in heat and overall
- Freya Hik & Abram Meagher; 1st in heat, 2nd overall
- Jessica Patterson & Connor Speer; 2nd in heat, 4th overall
- Kes Carson & Ryan Alexandruk; 3rd in heat; 4th overall