The first race of the season was great for the Golden Bears and Pandas, with all that competed pulling out solid results and times. The conditions were sublime for early winter racing and the skis were fast enough to provide some competition throughout the field of athletes. In all it was a great preparation weekend for those competing in the upcoming AB Cup/NorAm races this weekend in Canmore. Full results can be found through the link below. Go Bears and Pandas!
1.Kate Stone; 1st
1.Abram Meagher; 4th
2. Connor Speer; 6th
After a long wait for snow, a couple of our Bears and Pandas spent the last weekend in Hinton training with the Augustana Vikings. It was a winter wonderland with lots of snow, great training and awesome camaraderie with our fellow skiers. With temperatures sitting just around zero, the skis ran fairly well across the snow, giving practically ideal conditions for a time trial to the close the camp. The trails there in Hinton are amazing and if any other Bears or Pandas decide to hibernate somewhere that should be the place. Happy skiing, and Go Bears and Pandas!
It was a great night for racing on the Wednesday evening of September 9 with the temperature being ideal for some fast cross country running. The Golden Bear and Panda skiers were there in a strong force spanning across the field, and taking home some great times in the process. For a full set of results check out the link below :-). Unfortunately not every Bear/Panda was registered for this race so some of the names will not be on the list. Enjoy!
Photo credit: http://www.suttonplace.com
This past weekend some of the UofA Nordic Academy skiers traded in their skis and poles for a pair of sneakers to go the distance. On Saturday, August 29 athletes Adrienne Dunbar and Joel Gervais competed in the Trailstoke Ultramarathon in Revelstoke, BC, coming up with solid results in the solo 55km division. To view the full list of results simply follow the link below. Go Golden Bears and Pandas :-D.
Welcome to our new revamped web page! I hope the summer has treated you well. The time has come to head back to the books for the University of Alberta Nordic Academy and start fall training starting with the Team Try-out Day on September 5th. You should expect more awesome updates about the team in the near future.
In the meantime, enjoy this wicked video from Team Valoche.
Also check out our new Facebook page at:
The results are in for the Alberta Cup points series and UofA Nordic had a great showing in the results. Congrats and see you all next year.
- Colleen Mortimer: 1st for Masters Women 1&2
- Jenny Patterson: 5th for Senior Women
- Adrienne Dunbar: 6th for Senior Women
- Kat Stone: 10th for Senior Women
- Freya Hik: 2nd for Junior Women
- Kes Carson: 3rd for Junior Women
- Connor Speer: 3rd for Senior Men
- Ryan Alexandruk: 9th for Senior Men
- Ragnar Robinson: 10th for Senior Men
- Abram Meagher: 1st for Junior Men
A team sprint, and two interval middle distance starts. These were the events that the UofA Nordic Academy competed in against the nation and its Universities this past weekend at the annual Haywood Nationals in Thunder Bay. The Lappe trail system proved to be a challenging one with heart stopping downhills, quick footing corners, and climbs so painful that one of them is rightly named “The Grunt”. These factors did not daunt the UofA team though, who took on all the challenges the course threw at them and succeeded in great racing and results. For a full set of results, click on the links attached to each of the days below.
Saturday, March 14, 2015
CCUNC Free Technique Team Sprints
- Abram Meagher/Lukas Mark; 6th
- Connor Speer/Ryan Alexandruk; 12th
Sunday, March 15, 2015
Free Technique Interval Start
- Freya Hik: Overall JrWomen, 25th; CCUNC, 27th
- Connor Speer: Overall SrMen, 55th; CCUNC, 31st
- Abram Meagher: Overall JrMen, 11th; CCUNC, 10th
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Classic Technique Interval Start
- Freya Hik: Overall JrWomen, 24th; CCUNC, 28th
- Connor Speer: Overall SrMen, 58th; CCUNC, 32nd
- Ryan Alexandruk: Overall SrMen, 59th; CCUNC, 33rd
- Abram Meagher: Overall JrMen, 16th; CCUNC, 19th
The weather was prime for the last University Cup race of the year out at the Strathcona Wilderness Center, and once again the UofA Nordic Academy showed its great skiing ability. With it being the last race before Canadian Nationals, the team looked in fine form leading into the Championships this coming weekend. For complete results, got http://zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7441.
- Kathryn Stone: 2nd
- Freya Hik: 4th
- Jessie Patterson: 5th
- Kes Carson: 11th
- Ariel Raudsepp: 12th
- Abram Meagher: 2nd
- Ryan Alexandruk: 12th
The trails were in the prime condition, the stars were twinkling, the jam was bopping, and the skis were ready to go. It was a great of skiing at the second and final University Cup team sprint hosted by the UofA Nordic Academy and although the name of the event paralleled that of a famous football film, unlike that film everyone was a winner in some way even if the race did not go their way. For a complete set of results, go to zone4.ca/results.asp?id=7420.
- Michael Kennedy & Kate Buddo; 2nd
- Colleen Mortimer & Tim Wintinow; 1st in heat and overall
- Freya Hik & Abram Meagher; 1st in heat, 2nd overall
- Jessica Patterson & Connor Speer; 2nd in heat, 4th overall
- Kes Carson & Ryan Alexandruk; 3rd in heat; 4th overall
The UofA Nordic Academy had two athletes representing their home provinces at the Canada Winter Games this past week. Ragnar Robinson skied in the able-bodied men’s category for his home province of Saskatchewan, while Anna Lucas skied in the sit-ski women’s category for Team Alberta. Both had great results throughout the week, and the whole crew back in Edmonton are extremely proud of them.
- 10km Classic Interval Start: 31st
- 1.5km Classic Sprint: 31st
- 15km Free Technique Mass Start: 37th
- Mixed Technique Relay: 8th for team and in his leg
Anna Lucas Osma:
- 2.5km Interval Start: 3rd
- 800m Sprint: 4th
- 5km Interval Start: 3rd